This is your one-stop centre for harpsichord care! If you have a job needing doing I can make sure it’s done for you to the best possible professional standards! That includes tunings for home, studio or concert situations.
Trained as a harpsichord voicer and technician at Oxford Musical Instruments Ltd, formally Fergueson Hoey Ltd, with extensive experience working for the BBC in London as a tuner and technician for location radio and television recordings, and with 35 years experience as a performing harpsichordist, I am now offering to share some of my knowledge base both in providing technical support and in teaching others technical maintenance skills for their harpsichords. I offer repair work and servicing in addition to consultations in person or by email and telephone.
I also provide technical support in quilling, stringing and historical practices to the trade. I can offer reduced rates for instrument builders.
A selection of work includes:
- BBC Broadcasting House, Aldwich, London
- BBC radio broadcasts
- Open University
- The English Bach Festival
- Midsummer Opera
- Aaron Copland School of Music City University of New York, New York
- Mannes College, New York
- Third Street Music Settlement School, New York
- City University of New York Graduate Center, New York
- Universität der Künste Berlin: Requilling 1993 “Taskin” by John Bavington
- Universität der Künste Berlin: Regulating 1976 “Dulcken” by Schütze
- Universität der Künste Berlin: Servicing of “Ruckers” by Michael Johnson
- Universität der Künste Berlin: Servicing of “Taskin” by Keith Hill
- Early Music Society of Berlin e.V., International Bach Chamber Music Competition
- Vokalakademie Berlin: Tuning harpsichord and chamber organ
- EGG Ensemble
- Professional harpsichordist: Consultation and instruction on use of crow quill, Berlin
- Student harpsichordist: Consultation and professional opinion, Berlin
- Professional harpsichordist: Consultation and opinion regarding organ, Berlin
Some of the services I can provide include:
Requilling. Removing and replacing all plectra with European crow quill or delrin
I also specialise in Michael Johnson instruments and have a direct supply of Johnson plectra from Michael Johnson himself.
Regulating. Working with the plectra in situ, to tidy up the voicing either of crow quill or delrin, and replace plectra where needed.
Redamping. Replacing all dampers with suitable cloth either in modern “flag” or historical “angled” form.
Restringing. Replacing of all strings with Zuckerman, Rose or P-Wire.
General Maintenance. Checking through the action and musical aspects of the instrument and making adjustments or repairs where necessary.
Teaching. I am offering instruction on all matters of harpsichord maintenance and tuning in addition to the principles and the practice of setting temperament tunings. Please contact me directly to discuss any skill learning needs you might have.
Other. For other matters regarding the upkeep of harpsichords, please contact me directly.
Pricing. Please contact me directly for a quotation.